Building Permits & Inspection

Building permits are required for new construction of buildings and structures, and for additions and alterations to existing buildings or structures. Almost all new construction and renovations will require a permit. Some of the more common types of work that require a permit are listed below.

• constructing a new building
• building new or removing loadbearing or non-loadbearing walls
• relocating or demolishing a building or structure
• tenant improvements for your business
• changing the occupancy or type of use of a commercial space
• completing unfinished space
• constructing, covering or enclosing a porch or sundeck
• relocating bathroom fixtures or increasing bathroom size/fixtures
• installing a wood-burning appliance
• building a masonry chimney or fireplace
• installing a woodstove
• constructing retaining walls higher than 1.5m
• replacing entire perimeter drainage system
• legitimizing or building a secondary suite
• constructing accessory buildings larger than 10m²

Typical maintenance projects can be completed without a permit. Some examples are:
• replacing existing roofing material
• upgrading existing windows (same size)
• repairing or replacing existing plumbing fixtures
• painting, flooring or new cabinetry
• constructing a shed smaller than 10 sq. metres – must comply with zoning
• fences – must comply with zoning

Accessory Buildings - Do I need a building Permit?

If you are not sure if you require a Building Permit please contact the Municipal Inspector before you start any construction.

If you're ready to get started on your new development or home renovation, applying for the proper permits is your first step. See below for building applications and resources and visit our development applications section for more information on various development application such as development variance permits, development permits, rezoning, board of variance and more.

Where to Find Property Information such as land survey plans, property boundaries, easements and rights of way.

Construction shall begin within six months from the date of issuance and the work will not be discontinued or suspended for a period of more than six months.

Building Bylaw

The current Building Bylaw Building Bylaw No. 1165, 2014 can be found in Publications, Forms & Bylaws.


Building Permit Applications 

Complete building permit applications includiing all required documents can be submitted in person during our office hours

Please note that only complete submissions will be processed. Follow the Building Permit Checklist to ensure you have a complete submission. 

If information is missing, staff will contact you by phone or email.

Once your application has been processed you will receive instructions by email regarding fee payment and receiving your permit documents. The more complete your application is, the faster you will get your permit.

Building Permit Guide

Building Permit Application Form

Building Permit Checklist

Owners Authorization Form **

Water Meter Application Form

**If you are the owner of a property and would like to authorize someone to act on your behalf on all matters pertaining to a permit application you are required to fill out the owners authorisation form.

Demolition Permits

If you are planning of demolishing a structure(s) that measure more than 108 square feet on your property, demolition permits are required.

Each structure on a property measuring more than 108 square feet require a separate permit.

The links below contain the necessary information you need to submit in order to help speed up processing your permit.

The more complete your application is, the faster you will get your permit.

Demolition Permit Application Form 


Building Permit Fees

The Building Official uses residential cost estimating software to gauge the value of new residential construction. The estimates are used to calculate the cost of the building permit. Other types of construction require quotes to be submitted as part of your application. Please see the "Building Permit Guide above for more details on fees that may apply.

The current Fees and Charges Bylaw can be found in Publications, Forms & Bylaws.


Building Inspections

Ucluelet building inspections can only be requested by email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Please provide at least 24 hours notice. Your email must indicate your Building Permit number and the type of inspection you are requesting. Requests by text or phone message will not be scheduled.

The District of Ucluelet strives to accommodate all inspection requests and specific days or times may be requested, but cannot always be accommodated due to the volume and nature of building inspections. Once a date for your inspection has been confirmed by the Building Inspector, please ensure the premises is readily accessible between the hours of 9am until 4:30pm on that date. If someone cannot be present to admit the Inspector, arrangements must be made to permit entry (doors unlocked, hidden keys, entry codes, etc.)

Construction must be uncovered and readily visible, required documentation must be onsite or previously emailed, and plumbing tests must be on for at least 15 minutes prior to the inspector’s arrival.


For more information on Building Permits please contact the Municipal Inspector:

Nicole Morin
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Direct Line: 778-748-8482