Worker Housing Project (Pilot)

The Project

Arising from Ucluelet’s COVID-19 Recovery Task Force, the District of Ucluelet with the assistance of the Ucluelet Chamber of Commerce is launching a streamlined Temporary Use Permit (TUP) intake and review process for temporary seasonal worker housing in RVs this summer.

Watch Project Information Session #1 (April 6th)

Watch Project Information Session #2 (April 7th)

Download the Application Package

What does this mean?

Private property owners can apply for a fast-tracked Temporary Use Permit which will allow for an approved campsite for the temporary housing of seasonal workers.
The permitted location can be used for your own workers or rented to other businesses looking for seasonal worker housing.
Only complete applications will be considered for this intake. The Chamber is available to review your application prior to submission, if you so choose.

What is a Temporary Use Permit (TUP)?

All properties within the District of Ucluelet are designated as an area where Temporary Use Permits may be issued to allow a use of land, on a temporary basis, not otherwise permitted in the District of Ucluelet’s Zoning Bylaw.

Temporary use permits are intended to provide flexibility to achieve short-term economic and social goals, balance public and private interests, and maintain a reasonable level of compatibility with the surrounding neighbourhood.

The Timeline

Applications Open:    April 1st, 2021 
Information Session 1:   April 6th, 2021 @ 2:00pm
Information Session 2:   April 7th, 2021 @ 6:00pm
Chamber Pre-Application Review:    April 13th, 2021
Application Deadline:   April 16th, 2021
Public Notification (The Westerly):   May 5th, 2021
Public Input & Decisions on Permits:   May 11th, 2021


For any questions about this project or for assistance with making an application, please contact the Ucluelet Chamber of Commerce:

**This is happening at an extremely busy time at the municipality; staff will generally not be available to answer individual questions on this pilot project. The Chamber has agreed to be the point of contact and will be available to answer your questions.  Please contact Laurie at the Chamber, who is ready to help potential applicants.**

Pilot Worker Housing FAQ

1.  What are the fees associated with this Temporary Use Permit (TUP) application?

The non-refundable application fee for a permit is $350. If you are proposing multiple sites on the same property, that is considered one permit. (Council has waived the $500 TUP public notice fee for the purpose of this pilot project). A $1,000 deposit per camping space will be required before the permit is issued.  The deposit will be returned once the season is over and the site is vacated.

2.  Can we use this permit for anyone other than workers?

 No, these permits are meant to address the housing shortage for seasonal workers. A condition of the TUP will be providing the contact information of the workers being housed. Any sign of short-term rental or other non-compliance with the permit conditions will result in the permit being cancelled and forfeit of your deposit.

3.  What about sewage?

It is the applicant’s responsibility to demonstrate how sewage will be properly handled. Holding tank and pump-out? Access to a nearby washroom? You tell us.

4.  Should I talk to my neighbours?

Absolutely. Council is required to advertise and give an opportunity for public comment before making a decision on a TUP application. Your neighbours can voice their concerns about individual permit requests, so it is a good idea to speak to them early on. It is the property owner’s responsibility to be considerate of your neighbours and to comply with the conditions of the permit.

5.  What if I own the land, but not an RV?

You can still apply for a permit, outlining what type of RV will be permitted to park on your property. You can lease your space to an individual or business who has access to an RV.

6.  How long are the permits valid for?

These permits will be valid for 6 months.

7.  Can I apply on behalf of a land owner?

Yes, but the owner will need to sign the application to authorize you to make the application on their behalf.

8.  How do I apply?

Complete the application and provide all required information. If you wish, you can contact Laurie at the Chamber for a pre-application review by April 13th.

Download the Application Package

Formally apply to the District of Ucluelet by submitting your complete application and paying the $350 Temporary Use Permit application fee. Please note that your complete application must be submitted to the District of Ucluelet by 4pm, April 16th, 2021, to be considered as part of this pilot project.