A candidate is a person seeking election as a mayor (1 seat) or councilor (4 seats) for the District of Ucluelet. That person must be nominated by eligible electors and declared a candidate by the Chief Election Officer.
A person who has not been disqualified from seeking or holding elected office may become a candidate in local elections.
A candidate for mayor, councillor, or electoral area director must:
• be 18 years of age or older on general voting day;
• be a Canadian citizen;
• have been a resident of British Columbia for at least six months prior to filing nomination documents; and,
• not be disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from being nominated for, being elected to or holding office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Prospective candidates for local office must be nominated by at least two eligible electors from the jurisdiction where the person is seeking election.
Nomination packages will be available Friday, July 27, 2018.
Nomination period opens at 9 am on Tuesday, September 4th and closes at 4 pm on Friday, September 14, 2018.
To obtain a nomination package, please contact:
Marlene Lagoa, Chief Election Officer
Abby Fortune, Deputy Chief Election Officer
Campaign Financing and Election Advertising
A financial agent is a representative that candidates and elector organizations are legally required to have during an election campaign. A candidate is their own financial agent unless they appoint another individual to the position. The appointment of a financial agent by a candidate must be made in writing and the person must consent to the appointment.
Elections BC is responsible for administering campaign ﬁnancing and election advertising rules under the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act (LECFA).
Guides and forms for candidates, elector organizations, and third party sponsors are available on the Elections BC website.
All questions regarding campaign financial and election advertising must be directed to Elections BC at 1-855-952-0280.
Additional Resources for Candidates
• Ucluelet Candidate Information Session Presentation (link PDF – available June 27th)
• Ucluelet 2018 General Local Elections – Important Dates
• Potential Candidate Videos
• Thinking of Running for Local Office?
• What Every Candidate Needs to Know
• Candidate’s Guide to Local Elections in B.C.
• Foundational Principles of Responsible Conduct for BC’s Local Governments
• Local Government in BC: A Community Effort
• Province of BC – General Local Elections
• Union of BC Municipalities
• Federation of Canadian Municipalities
• Local Government Management Association
• Local Government Leadership Academy
• CivicInfo BC
• Municipal Finance Authority