Voter Information

The Voter Information section covers voter eligibility, voter registration for residents and non-resident property electors, ID requirements, and additional resources for voters.
For a list of the 2018 Mayor and Councillor Candidates, please refer to our Election Information Page.

Voter Eligibility

Voting rights are granted to citizens based on residency or property ownership. There is no corporate or business vote in local elections.
In order to be eligible to vote locally as a resident or non-resident property elector, a person must:
• Be 18 years of age or older when they register to vote, or 18 years or older on general voting day,
• Be a Canadian citizen,
• Have been a resident of B. C. for at least six months before they register to vote,
• Have either lived or owned property in the jurisdiction in which they intend to vote for at least 30 days before they register to vote, and
• Not be disqualified under the Local Government Act, or any other enactment, or by law from voting in a local election 


There are two voter registration methods for Ucluelet resident property electors – the provincial voters list or same-day voter registration.

Provincial Voters List

The District of Ucluelet uses the most current available provincial list of voters prepared by Elections BC. Residents whose names appear on the provincial voters list are automatically registered and are not required to show identification in order receive a ballot and vote in a local election.

Residents have until August 13, 2018 to register, or update their registration, on the provincial voters list through Election BC’s Online Voter Registration.

Same-day Voter Registration

Residents not appearing on the provincial voters list will be required to:

1. Show two pieces of identification to register on voting day; and
2. Complete an Application for Registration as a Local Government Resident Elector

Non-resident Property Electors

When a person lives in one jurisdiction and owns property in one or more other jurisdictions, they may vote once in each of the other jurisdictions where they own property -- as long as they meet the voter eligibility requirements.

The names of non-resident property electors are not recorded on the provincial voters list. Non-resident property electors are required to register at the time of voting (same-day registration) and show two pieces of identification, as well as the title of the property in relation to which they are voting.

If a person owns a property with one or more other individuals, only one person is eligible to vote as the non-resident property elector for that property. The owner entitled to vote must be designated, in writing, by the majority of the property owners.

Download and complete the following forms, please bring them with you on Voting Day:

Non-Resident Property Elector - Application to Register
Non-Resident Property Elector – Consent Form

A person cannot vote on behalf of a corporation, or as a non-resident property elector, based on a property owned wholly or in part by a corporation. There is no corporate or business vote in local elections.

ID Requirements

When an elector is required to show two pieces of identification, the identification must prove who you are (name) and where you live (residential address). One of the pieces of identification must also include your signature. Photo identification is not necessary.

Accepted ID types include:

• a British Columbia Driver’s Licence
• a British Columbia Identification Card - with or without photo
• an Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence issued by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC)
• a British Columbia CareCard or British Columbia Gold CareCard
• a Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8, (now “Monthly Form EA181)
• a Social Insurance Number (SIN) card or confirmation of SIN letter issued by the government of Canada
• a Citizenship Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada
• a real property tax notice issued by the District of Ucluelet
• a credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution
• a utility bill issued for the supply of electricity, natural gas, water, telephone services or coaxial cable services by

Exceptions for cases where 2 pieces of ID is not available:

• If neither piece of identification shows your residential address, you may make a solemn declaration as to your place of residence.
• If only one piece of identification showing both name and signature is provided, you may make a solemn declaration as to residency and identity.

Additional Resources for Voters - Useful Links

General Local Elections 101

Voter’s Guide to Local Elections in B.C.

Province of BC – General Local Elections

School Trustee Election Procedures in British Columbia