UCUELET, B.C., December 18, 2018 – Parks Canada has extended the extreme wave hazard advisory for the Pacific Rim region, and a storm warning is in effect.
The District of Ucluelet has CLOSED the Wild Pacific Trail and Beaches in Ucluelet.
The trails and beaches will remain closed until further notice. During this period, combined seas are expected to remain in the 7 metre range and reach up to 10 metres on Thursday.
People interested in viewing the storm are advised to use the following locations:
- Amphitrite Point (a safe viewing area has been established)
- Kwisitis VisitorCentre’sObservation DeckatWickaninnish Beachin PacificRimNationalParkReserve
- Florencia Bay Lookout in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve
Beaches, shorelines, docks and marinas, and coastal waters should be avoided during this major storm event. Please respect all temporary closures, follow directions on associated postings, and watch for updated statements. Thank you for using extreme caution during this storm event.
- Avoid trails and beaches during storm events
- Stay away from exposed shorelines and stay off rocks
- Unexpected waves can suddenly flood shorelines
- Large waves can surge above the tide line
- High tides and waves can roll logs
For more information, please visit: