Voluntary Water Conservation
For Immediate Release
August 9, 2018
The District of Ucluelet is asking for community support in maintaining the local water supply by voluntarily conserving water. Although we are not currently at water restriction levels, recent weather conditions and Provincial forecasts have shown indication of an above average drought condition for the West Coast of Vancouver Island again this year. The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (FLNRO) has elevated the Provincial Drought Level to Level 3 for the West Coast Region.
The District of Ucluelet’s two water supplies will be impacted by this forecasted prediction. District staff have been monitoring ground water tables and creek flow levels at the community’s two water sources.
Water Restrictions will come into effect this summer to maintain fire flows and system demands. As a pro-active approach, the District is asking visitors and residents to conserve water whenever possible to limit the level of water restrictions this year.
Here are some ways you can reduce consumption:
1. Check faucets and pipes for leaks:
- A small drip from a worn faucet washer can waste 76 liters of water per day.
2. Turn off the tap while brusing your teeth and shaving:
- On average, Canadians use about 65% of their water in the bathroom.
3. When possible, replace older model toilets with an ultra-low flow model:
- Replacing an 18 liter per flush toilet with an ultra-low model 6 liter, can reduce water use by 30% in a home.
- Visit the Co-op to learn more about the "at-cost" promotion on a new low-flow toilets.
4. Daily showers instead of baths:
- This can save up to 40,000 liters per year.
5. Don't run the hose while washing the car:
- This simple practice can save as much as 570 liters when washing the car.
These conservation practises will have an impact on saving water. Water conservation at home is one of the easiest measures to put in place.
The District of Ucluelet thanks you for supporting water conservation for the community.
For a PDF version of the offical notice, please click HERE.