INTERNAL / EXTERNAL POSTING
Bylaw Services Officer
1 Position Available - Permanent, Full Time
The District of Ucluelet is seeking a qualified individual to fill a permanent, full time position of Bylaw Services Officer in the Planning Department. Reporting to the Planner 1, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer is responsible for the inspectional, regulatory and investigational work involving the enforcement and administration of District bylaws. Work involves providing information and assistance to the public, carrying out patrols and investigations, gathering evidence, conducting inspections, issuing notices and fines, and preparing all documentation necessary for the effective enforcement of District regulatory bylaws.
This is a forty hour per week position, Monday to Friday, with an unpaid one-half hour break for lunch and two fifteen-minute rest breaks (paid). Standard hours of work are from 6:00 am to 1:00 am, Sunday to Saturday. Based on operational needs, this position may be required to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings and weekends. There may also be evening attendance required at some Council meetings.
The successful applicant must be a team player possessing excellent organizational skills, effective communication skills, and must be courteous and respectful to Council, supervisors, colleagues, and the general public.
Like to know more?
JOB TITLE: Bylaw Enforcement Officer
JOB STATUS: Full Time, Permanent
EMPLOYMENT GROUP: C.U.P.E. (Local 118)
COMPENSATION: $27.26 per hour (less 10% during probation period)
POSTING PERIOD: Closing May 4, 2017 at 4:00 pm
COMMENCEMENT: As soon as possible
Candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- Secondary school graduation supplemented by Justice Institute Bylaw Enforcement courses, a relevant post-secondary diploma, courses related to justice, criminology, evidence gathering or investigation skills; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Direct experience in bylaw enforcement, inspections, field investigations, conflict resolution, security or other related areas is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply bylaws (e.g. Zoning and Official Community Plan bylaws and other regulator bylaws).
- Ability to use sound judgment when identifying, mediating and resolving a bylaw infraction and utilizing conflict resolutions skills when dealing with hostile individuals.
- Excellent English written communication skills are necessary – ability to prepare reports, files and correspondence.
- Ability and aptitude for performing work requiring close attention to detail and of a confidential and legal nature to complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Physically fit and able to perform physical tasks associated with patrols, including working outside in all types of weather with varied hours.
- Proficient use of computers and Microsoft suite of applications.
- Valid BC Class 5 driver’s licence.
- Ability to pass and maintain a clean criminal records check
We are running an accelerated recruitment process and would appreciate submission of references with applications. Applicants should be aware that this competition is concurrently inviting applications from internal candidates.
Resumes and cover letters should be directed to the attention of:
Morgan Dosdall, Deputy Municipal Clerk
District of Ucluelet
Box 999, 200 Main Street
Ucluelet, BC V0R 3A0
or Fax: 250-726-7335
The District wishes to thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.